Sign in to follow this  
CM Nick C

[IdeaStorm] Getting creative with a PSU

CM Nick C    4

Hi guys, 

As you know, there are several kinds of ATX power supply currently in the market - Digital PSU, Fanless PSU, regular PSU, etc.

Is there any creative idea of PSU or any new function that you look forward to see from Cooler Master in the future?

Let's brainstorm!!!! Share with us if you have any ideas.  :D

• Upvote 1

Well, one thing I've seen others do is offer a PSU that can switch between single and multi-rail mode, as well as software to tweak and OC the powersupply. Granted this was only on high wattage models (1200+)

One thing I am wondering about is if there could be a way to adjust it's "maximum" power output and energy eff. Like some way it can switch from a high power usage with a bit less eff. to a lower power usage with higher eff. depending on what's needed, something like a scalable PSU. So that regardless of if you have 1 GPU and CPU at stock, or 4 GPUs and 2 CPU massively OCed, you can get good usage from the same power supply, allowing more freedom to upgrade to system that has higher power demands without replacing the PSU. (or having a PSU that has way more power than is currently needed that just "sits" there)

I suggest a PSU that has a replaceable 140mm fan with a 3-pin or 4-pin PWM header.

Improved heat dissipation fins that can guide the airflow inside the PSU given that it has a typical intake fan placed at its bottom and passively pushing it outwards.

The cables bundled in the fully modular PSU are fully sleeved in black. It would also be great if you could sell accessories like fully sleeved power connectors. 

world    84

I guess I'm more traditional when it comes to power supplies. I just want a system that's quiet and cool while delivering clean, stable power at high efficiency. I appreciate modular power supplies, and I also like hybrid fan systems (if power usage and heat output are low enough, fan turns off), but I don't think I would want a power supply to have too many special features. Changes I want to see mostly come in the form of improvements. Improved stability, improved noise levels, improved efficiency, etc :)

It might be interesting to see a PSU with a built in waterblock for all the watercoolers out there, but the market might be kind of small for that.

I would like to see a small power supply (shorter than 120-130mm or so) that has high capacity (maybe over 750w or so). I have a friend with a SFF case that uses an ATX power supply, but the PSU choices are very limited due to the size of the case and the type of components in the computer. It would be great to have a power supply designed for that purpose, and with the recent boom in small, powerful computers, a tiny, high capacity PSU has a pretty big potential market.

knud    129

I would like to see a small power supply (shorter than 120-130mm or so) that has high capacity (maybe over 750w or so). I have a friend with a SFF case that uses an ATX power supply, but the PSU choices are very limited due to the size of the case and the type of components in the computer. It would be great to have a power supply designed for that purpose, and with the recent boom in small, powerful computers, a tiny, high capacity PSU has a pretty big potential market.

This part I agree on. There are only a limited number of PSU's that are actually small. HTPC cases sometimes need a smaller ATX psu.

Also a nice feature would be to let the fan run for 2 minutes or so after the PC has been shutdown --> blow out some of the dust + heat.

world    84

This part I agree on. There are only a limited number of PSU's that are actually small. HTPC cases sometimes need a smaller ATX psu.

Also a nice feature would be to let the fan run for 2 minutes or so after the PC has been shutdown --> blow out some of the dust + heat.

One of my friends has a graphics card that reverses the fan direction at full speed for a few seconds when you first turn your system on in order to blow out dust. He's had it for a few months now, and it seems to work really well! Maybe a power supply can do this to prevent dust buildup