Sign in to follow this  
CM Jerry

Dual-layer design is better?

CM Jerry    43

Hello guys, 

Have you seen the product with special design before?

So far I can't find it on the shelf in TW and just see the simple unboxing.

Does anyone use it or like to share how it is? :)

I can realize the more heatpipes bring better dissipation but I wonder if the dual-layer design is working better~

How do you think?

post-89696-0-18801700-1389258245_thumb.jpg

post-89696-0-21724600-1389258225_thumb.jpg

knud    129

It looks really huge. (But could be done on purpose.)

Like the idea of extra cooling your ram, but without that little fan + heatsink, the main fan will also do that in this kind of design.

I doubt if you'll get better cooling results, since the hot air is being pushed back towards the CPU + RAM area.

ps: looks like an older photo or motherboard... is that purple connector (right side) a serial or parallel port?

In my theory - the air that will be pushed through the memory modules would already be warm. I think that it's not really that effective to cool those. The cooling fins with a smaller surface area will not do much since it has only two heat pipes connected in it. IMO, the Evo would be more efficient than this  :).

looks like an older photo or motherboard... is that purple connector (right side) a serial or parallel port?

That purple thing right there is a parallel port which most of us doesn't use. But in cashiers and some computers in offices - these are still used  ;)

so it blows hot air down onto your ram and motherboard, or into the wall of your case? I don't see that as a very good idea, maybe useful for test benches, but that's it. the air needs to go out of the case, by being directed to an fan blowing out of the case.

I also noticed that there seems to be no reviews of the cooler yet, would need to see those before I could really comment on the design

world    84

In general, top-down coolers are considered to have sub-par cooling compared to tower coolers, so it's likely that this cooler won't have great performance. In terms of heat getting blown out of the case, even though a top-down cooler isn't helpful for exhaust, if you have vents at the top of your case blowing out, the heat can probably be removed just fine. 

In terms of cooling memory, you're better off with having a larger heatsink with fins bent to direct air towards the memory chips if the CPU cooler is going to have memory cooling, so the CPU cooler would be more efficient at its main task. I would say it's better to not bother with cooling the memory using the CPU cooler though. If you have enough airflow to expel the hot air dumped into the case by a top-down cooler, your memory will probably be fine. In general, direct memory cooling is not needed unless you have very high clocks and voltage on your ram, and in the cases where you absolutely need memory cooling, having dedicated memory cooling would work a lot better.

How about if the intake would be from the bottom - away from the mainboard? Air will first pass-through components and then through the fins of the cooler. The shroud should also isolate the air from leaking out in random areas of the cooler and focusing on the exhaust.

11867161236_1b78ba58b4.jpg