bitbob

which fans plugs go where?

bitbob    1

Hello: I recently upgraded from a big air-cooler 3 fan rig to the 240l. I put it in a coolermaster Haf XM and installed it as a push (fans in case-cooler on top) configuration. The only thing I found no mention of in the installation papers was which fan  or pump to hook up to the cpu cooler fan plug. I hooked up the pump to that plug but I am getting a lot of fan noise and seemingly no variation in fan speed from idle to fully loaded... Its my first water cooler so any help appreciated... Thanx---Bitbob

• Upvote 1

bitbob, check the power connector from the fans and the CPU water pump/block. In my 120V - the CPU water pump/block requires a 3-pin header and the fans require PWM 4-pin header.

Pictures for reference:

4-pin PWM female
173857-front2.jpg

3-pin female (without the cable)

3position2.54pitchfemaleheader-300.JPG

Make sure that both headers are connected into the corresponding pins. Does your system boots-up? How are the temperatures?

Hello: I recently upgraded from a big air-cooler 3 fan rig to the 240l. I put it in a coolermaster Haf XM and installed it as a push (fans in case-cooler on top) configuration. The only thing I found no mention of in the installation papers was which fan  or pump to hook up to the cpu cooler fan plug. I hooked up the pump to that plug but I am getting a lot of fan noise and seemingly no variation in fan speed from idle to fully loaded... Its my first water cooler so any help appreciated... Thanx---Bitbob

bitbob if you're referring to Eisberg 240L Prestige than you might have to use the low-voltage splitter cable as shown here and for the better results you can check this advice.  

To conclude: use the 5V cable to reduce the pump voltage. You can also check page 3 from here  for more appropriate understanding. 

Hope that helped. 

bitbob    1

Hi guys no this is not the eisenburg it is the Glacer 240L and has a different hook up scheme and mounting hardware. It is actually much easier to install than the eisenburg video you directed me too. It has a separate 5v cable to hookup and a pump control cable that is separate---that is the cable that I don't know what to do with. I currently have it hooked up to the CPU fan plug and it works fine but I get no variation in speed from idle to fully loaded. The fans always turn over at 2400rpm and do not vary in speed either. So am I expecting this rig to change pump speed with loads when it doesn't do so automatically and likewise on the fans am I expecting them to automatically ramp down with pump speed when they don't????

Hi guys no this is not the eisenburg it is the Glacer 240L and has a different hook up scheme and mounting hardware. It is actually much easier to install than the eisenburg video you directed me too. It has a separate 5v cable to hookup and a pump control cable that is separate---that is the cable that I don't know what to do with. I currently have it hooked up to the CPU fan plug and it works fine but I get no variation in speed from idle to fully loaded. The fans always turn over at 2400rpm and do not vary in speed either. So am I expecting this rig to change pump speed with loads when it doesn't do so automatically and likewise on the fans am I expecting them to automatically ramp down with pump speed when they don't????

Mea culpa for not adding content also for Glacer since I added a review here. I thought you have purchased the Eisberg. My apologies.

As far as i know from CM product manual and from reviews, there are included : 2 x 3pin fan connectors and from the pump one 4pin PWM connector  plus a SATA power one. These should be all the connectors. Only for pre-production a splitter was added.

So, your installation is a correct one. Fan connectors can be plugged to motherboard headers also, or like the SATA power one directly to the PSU cables.

The 4pin PWM you added to the CPU header. Wich is right and only to the CPU header must be plugged ( it has only 2 cables for speed control ).  Now you have to go trough BIOS settings for proper speed controls. Also you didn't specified if your board has a 4pin cpu header or only 3pin header. It has to be PWM capable.

It would be helpful to know your motherboard specifications.

Here you can find extra infos : pureoverclock or even a installation video.

• Upvote 1

bitbob    1

Great thats exactly what I needed to know and yes it has 2 PWM headers(1 CPU and 1 Case fan). I ordered a 1to3 connector for the CPU fan header and will be hooking up the two fans and pump to this header. But I am still in the dark about which device to hook up to the speed sensing plug from the 3 way splitter. I have calibrated the CPU fan header to the pump and that seems to work well by itself when controlled by the Asus fan app. Should I keep the pump as the speed controller plug for the 3 way splitter or move that function to a fan? I also got a 1to4 w/power splitter but that introduces the added question of whether to leave the pump power plug attached since this configuration provides external power to the 4 plug headers. Is the pump plug just a speed sensor? Hope this isn't to many questions.........The Glacier 240 does well at keeping my computer from blue-screening while crunching Videos if my ambient temp is below 70F. I have to disable the Asus app to run it at full power and it will hold the cpu temps below 72C. This summer however my ambient temps can reach 74F so I am wondering what improvement I could expect after installing 2 more pull fans on top of the radiator? Thanx again for you help...

world    84

Great thats exactly what I needed to know and yes it has 2 PWM headers(1 CPU and 1 Case fan). I ordered a 1to3 connector for the CPU fan header and will be hooking up the two fans and pump to this header. But I am still in the dark about which device to hook up to the speed sensing plug from the 3 way splitter. I have calibrated the CPU fan header to the pump and that seems to work well by itself when controlled by the Asus fan app. Should I keep the pump as the speed controller plug for the 3 way splitter or move that function to a fan? I also got a 1to4 w/power splitter but that introduces the added question of whether to leave the pump power plug attached since this configuration provides external power to the 4 plug headers. Is the pump plug just a speed sensor? Hope this isn't to many questions.........The Glacier 240 does well at keeping my computer from blue-screening while crunching Videos if my ambient temp is below 70F. I have to disable the Asus app to run it at full power and it will hold the cpu temps below 72C. This summer however my ambient temps can reach 74F so I am wondering what improvement I could expect after installing 2 more pull fans on top of the radiator? Thanx again for you help...

Glad you could figure it out :)

I think more important than your ambient temperature for your computer is your CPU temperature for everyday usage. When you're doing video processing, what kind of temperatures are you hitting on your CPU? 

What CPU do you have? Do you overclock?

bitbob    1

I think I stated that I top out at about 72c when this cooler is running full bore on pump and fans. Its an 860intel overclocked to 4.0 . The only variable that effects this is the ambient temp so it is the most important factor pushing me to go to push pull configuration if it will help with Higher ambient temps coming this summer. Nothing else will be changed. Do you read these comments? How about the question on which fan/pump to plug into speed sensor?.....

world    84

I think I stated that I top out at about 72c when this cooler is running full bore on pump and fans. Its an 860intel overclocked to 4.0 . The only variable that effects this is the ambient temp so it is the most important factor pushing me to go to push pull configuration if it will help with Higher ambient temps coming this summer. Nothing else will be changed. Do you read these comments? How about the question on which fan/pump to plug into speed sensor?.....

Sorry, I was in between classes and only had time to skim the post at the time, and apparently I did a bad job. 

I think 72 c is high for your CPU and cooler combo. The ambient temperatures aren't THAT important in your case, since you're looking at a difference of 4 degrees F. If your system blue-screens with an ambient temperature of 74 degrees F, installing a push-pull configuration instead of your current configuration probably isn't your biggest worry. You probably need to adjust your voltage more for your system to be stable. How are your voltages? Have you stress-tested your system after overclocking to make sure it is stable? If you did, how did you stress-test it?

Ambient temperature is definitely not the only variable that affects cooling. You have CPU voltage output, fan speed, fan choice, pump speed, case choice, case fan choice, radiator mounting, CPU-cooler interface quality, choice of thermal paste, application of thermal paste, etc. Lots of things can impact your cooling, so an increase in ambient temperature to 74 degrees F is probably not the big problem. My computer does brute-force calculating just fine in the summer, and I don't keep AC on, so it's in the upper 80's F. Your computer should be able to handle that kind of ambient temperature without crashing. Installing a push-pull system is beneficial over just a push or pull system, but you need to be sure your interface from your CPU to your cooler is good. Since your temperature is high, I would recommend re-seating your cooler to make sure you have good contact. Without that good contact, push-pull can't do much to improve your temperatures. Although, if the cooler is struggling to keep your CPU under 72 C without full speed fans, then most likely a push-pull configuration will yield good results. But really, if the 240l can't handle the heat output of your CPU, something might not be set up right. 

In regards to the fan/pump plug, I would honestly separate the fan(s) and pump plugs completely. Fans are designed to have their speed changed frequently, but a pump should be somewhat stable in its speed. Fans also can operate at lower voltages than pumps, typically, even if they're both rated for the same operating voltage. A fan might spin at 3V, but a pump might not. If it was me, I would use an adapter to plug the pump into a molex power source where it will get a stable, full voltage constantly, and then plug the fans in to be controlled by the motherboard/software. I don't know how much power the pump uses, but you also want to be careful about loading too much power into each plug on your motherboard-- it could break something on the motherboard. In fact, I would recommend not using splitters for motherboard fan plugs, unless you know for sure that everything plugged in has a very low power draw.