z999z3mystorys

17.3" Gaming laptop, What would be the best cooler?

I'm thinking either the CM storm SF 17, or SF 19 but I'm not quite sure which is better, I could go by the numbers and assume the 19 is better based on that (and that two fans are better than one? but then again the one fan is bigger so I'm not sure) Or is there another option I should consider.

• Upvote 1

Now it depends on what preferences you have.

Both SF 17 and SF 19 supports notebooks up to 19 inches. One provides you a usb2.0 hub and the other a usb3.0 one.

On SF 17 you have one single fan with a 1200 RPM fan speed meaning a lower noise level than from SF19's 2600 fans speed. From both coolers you can change those fans. 

The SF 17 cooler provides you a better angle view, by making it adjustable.

If you ask me both do the job. I would also pay attention to the power. It is more convenient for you to have a DC 12V adapter or a usb 5V DC? 

Here are some reviews: SF 17  and SF 19 .

Guest CM Lihan   
Guest CM Lihan

Here are some brief spec of both SF17 and SF19 may help you out in some point.   FYI~ :)

SF19

• Mammoth Cooling Surfacing
  • 4 ports of USB 2.0
  • Swift Carrying Handle
  • Structurally enhanced mesh surfacing
  • Anti-slip rubber cable slot
  • 2 Removable 140mm S shaped blade fans
  • Multi-light Shader

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/accessories/sf19usb2/

SF17

• Silent and Powerful 180 mm fan for excellent cooling performance
  • Stepless Fan Speed Dial with power on/ off function
  • 4 Height Adjustments for optimal working / typing angles
  • 4 Port USB Hub to expand connectivity
  • Improved Cable Management with grooved sides for cable routing
  • Comfortable Rubber Handle designed to be easy to carry
  • Laptop Retention Tabs for more stability at higher angles
  • Red LED lighting stripe underneath for game session in the dark
  • Supports Large Laptops up to 19"

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/accessories/SF-17/

MSwhip    1

Both SF 17 and SF 19 supports notebooks up to 19 inches. One provides you a usb2.0 hub and the other a usb3.0 one.

On SF 17 you have one single fan with a 1200 RPM fan speed meaning a lower noise level than from SF19's 2600 fans speed. From both coolers you can change those fans. 

If you ask me both do the job. I would also pay attention to the power. It is more convenient for you to have a DC 12V adapter or a usb 5V DC? 

You say fans are replaceable, I have the SF-17 and I am thinking to replace fan with the SilverstoneAir Penetrator  AP 181  C$15 currently.

The design goal for Air Penetrator is to focus airflow into a column that can be channeled through various obstacles inside the modern computer case for more efficient cooling performance. Compared with traditional fans, where airflow spreads outward and further looses focus with resistance added (e.g. filters, fan guards, etc…), Air Penetrator fan’s unique blade and grille designs can create  enough pressure to push air as far as 1 meter away with minimal fan speed and noise. 1200RPM 130CFM 34DBA in high airflow mode

UNQUOTE

According the specs in the SF-17 sheet:

Fan Speed 700 - 1200 RPM ± 15% Fan Airflow 35 - 70 CFM Fan Noise Level 16 - 21 dBA

I have a couple of questions:

1. The AP 181 comes in a square case frame, is it compatible with the CM unit?.

2. Would the speed fan control in the SF-17 also control the fan of the AP 181 with the same incremental motion?

3. Is 34 dBA noticeably noisy?

4. The fact that AP 181 moves the air like if it was a tunnel and with the strength to reach 1 metre, would it harm in any way the notebook when it invades it through the beehive air intake?

I would appreciate your knowledgeable opinions

Note:

I would appreciate tutorial to disassemble the SF -17 to replace the fan. Anyone has ever seen a blueprint of the guts of the unit?

Who manufactures the fan inside the SF-17 and what is the Model Number?

Thank you kindly.

Pclinde    197

After seeing the specification of SF17 and SF19, I think both are good.

They both are. :) But I think the SF17 has a better availability at the moment. 

MSwhip    1

Have you ever actually replaced the fan in the SF-17?

They both are. :) But I think the SF17 has a better availability at the moment. 

Pim is right, the SF-19 is no longer available and is phased out while the SF-17 is still available in most countries that carry our Notepal products.

Have you ever actually replaced the fan in the SF-17?

How come you want to replace the fan? I don't really think it is possible since the Notepal fans are specially designed 5V fans which will be hard to find on the open market.

You say fans are replaceable, I have the SF-17 and I am thinking to replace fan with the SilverstoneAir Penetrator  AP 181  C$15 currently.

The design goal for Air Penetrator is to focus airflow into a column that can be channeled through various obstacles inside the modern computer case for more efficient cooling performance. Compared with traditional fans, where airflow spreads outward and further looses focus with resistance added (e.g. filters, fan guards, etc…), Air Penetrator fan’s unique blade and grille designs can create  enough pressure to push air as far as 1 meter away with minimal fan speed and noise. 1200RPM 130CFM 34DBA in high airflow mode

UNQUOTE

According the specs in the SF-17 sheet:

Fan Speed 700 - 1200 RPM ± 15% Fan Airflow 35 - 70 CFM Fan Noise Level 16 - 21 dBA

I have a couple of questions:

1. The AP 181 comes in a square case frame, is it compatible with the CM unit?.

2. Would the speed fan control in the SF-17 also control the fan of the AP 181 with the same incremental motion?

3. Is 34 dBA noticeably noisy?

4. The fact that AP 181 moves the air like if it was a tunnel and with the strength to reach 1 metre, would it harm in any way the notebook when it invades it through the beehive air intake?

I would appreciate your knowledgeable opinions

Note:

I would appreciate tutorial to disassemble the SF -17 to replace the fan. Anyone has ever seen a blueprint of the guts of the unit?

Who manufactures the fan inside the SF-17 and what is the Model Number?

Thank you kindly.

Don't think the Silverstone fan will work as it is a 12V rated fan, even though the minimum starting voltage is a 5V fan it actually won't be able to work even if you solder the wires as it won't be powerful enough through the USB connection.