CM Jerry

[Official] Nepton Owner's Club

Hey there, I imagine this question has been asked in the thread before but I don't have time to go through it right now. I was wondering if someone could tell me how you mount the nepton 280l on an lga 2011-3 socket? I heard somewhere that you don't actually need to install the backplate onto the motherboard, but I'd obviously like that to be verified before I break something.

Cheers!

I have 2011-3 and i didn`t install the backplate ... mainly because on this mobo you cannot do that. But the 240M had all the screws necessary to install on existing plate. 

Bear304    0

Hey, i have had my CM Nepton 240m for about 20 days now, and in that time i've noticed a strange vibration / clicking / humming sound from the pump every 25 seconds or so, (Sounds like it is something in the coolant circulating inside the loop, as it only happens every 25 sec's or so), and i have my pump plugged into the PSU.

Cooling is fine, but i'm aiming for a silent build, so i run Noctua fans on it and in my case at low speeds when the system is idling, so i can hear every mis-sound the pc makes, so the pump sound stands out.

So now i'm alittle concerned about it, is it normal for the CM Nepton 240m's pump to have this kind of noise, or is it a sign of something worse in the making?

Contiusa    0

Hello, guys, I was considering purchasing the Nepton 280L, but I have two questions.

First, I have read here in this thread and on the internet about the pump producing coil while:

Is this a recurrent problem (if you look at the video comments, several people are having the same problem), was it fixed? Any updates on it? It worries me a lot.

The second is about the mounting screws. Looks like the 140mm holes are proprietary? That the Nepton 280L won't fit a standard 140m mounting hole? I was reading a review and the proprietary fit came up and I am not sure where. It confuses me that a fan / radiator (?) has proprietary mounting holes, so I want to make sure which one is it. Or all of them? Or they informed wrong and all mounting holes are standard 120mm and 140mm size?

I appreciate any feedback, because the cooler seems to be top of the line (on par with NZXT Kraken X61, which are not available in Brazil). I just don't want to have any unexpected surprises afterwards.

Best regards,
Contiusa.

Bear304    0

@ Contiusa

I just had a listen to the pump on my CM Nepton 240m and it does indeed have a noticeable coilwhine, when the surrounding fans is turned-off :( 

Also just found out that Cooler Master made the Nepton 240m's radiator of aluminium, which could be bad in the long run, because of corrosion between the copper cpu block and the aluminium radiator - and the lower heat dissipation of the radiator doesn't help either.  

I'm really considering RMA'ing my cooler, as the internal pump grind and the electric noise is really annoying, especially for a really silent build. 

Contiusa    0

I am reading Newegg's comments and the Kraken X61 has one or two mentions to coil whine, but NZXT responded with some instructions and advising to RMA in case it does not stop. So it might not be that rare to have coil whine in water pumps, but at least they addressed it properly (as a probable defective unit).

I just installed a 140XL in my H922 to replace my 4 year old h50 with push pull cougar vortex PWM fans to cool my i7 2600k. I used Antec Nano Diamond Formula 7 TIM since it has such great customer reviews with some people saying a 20-30c drop in temps...I find that unbelievable and they probably had mismounted coolers to starts with, nost were 5-10c drops in temp. I plan on replacing the TIM on both of my SLI'ed EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards

I had to install it in the roof of my case with one fan on the outside of the case, not pretty but performance is outstanding. As for my CPU temperature drop with my new 140XL.....my idle temps right now with my 2600k @4915mhz @1.440V is 27c on core #1 "my hottest core" and 21C on core 0 "my coolest  core" and load temps around on my hottest core after 30min of intel burntest V2 is 62c with a ambient temp of 17c. I am very happy since my little wimpy H50 would be kissing 70c @ a much lower 4500mhz @1.340V at a lower ambient temp!  So I very very pleased with the performance of the 140XL..it is awesome compared to the little H50 that wanted to, but did serve me well over the last 4 years.  

Will let you all know how replacing the tim on my 770's works out.

I am reading Newegg's comments and the Kraken X61 has one or two mentions to coil whine, but NZXT responded with some instructions and advising to RMA in case it does not stop. So it might not be that rare to have coil whine in water pumps, but at least they addressed it properly (as a probable defective unit).

I apologize for not reading your post before I blabbed about my rig I still love:) 

I had no coil whine @ all and I ran my pump on my 140xl's outside the case for a good 20 minutes checking for leaks and noises before I uninstalled my MB since the mounting studs are too long to install it through the too small cutout on my HAF922 MotherBoard mounting tray.

Also my pump runs between 7030 and 7100rpms according to the sensor which seems correct according to others with a full 12v to the pump it is supposed to run at 7k rpms. Since my system is on and Oc'ed 24/7 I do not plan on using the pump with variable speed since it is supposed to run @ this speed and is lubricated all the time I would think. Plus my Corsair H50's pump ran non stop for 4 years I'm not worried especially with all of Intels safety features if it fails it will just lock or shutdown.....not something I ever want to happen but the system would survive .

Steve Lewis    0

Cooler:  Nepton 240M

Case:  HAF Stacker 925

I plan to install the Nepton 240M in the "front" mount position, with the two drive cages moved to the 915R, but I cannot locate a part number or a source for the  "optional adapter" mentioned in the 935's AIO cooler compatibility chart (http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail_aj01/case/P131014000315b4/Overview.html at the very bottom of that webpage).  Does that "optional adapter" exist, or will I need to kludge it?

Kristijan    0

I have problems with the ticking of the pump, along with the problem with one of the fans. I got my first unit and RMA it, faulty pump and fan. Than got the second one and now the same problems! Faulty pump again and fans noise?!

I connected the pump on the mobo CPU_FAN, OPT CPU_FAN, PSU direct and the pump is still ticking. The sound depended of the connection.With the pump connected directly to the PSU I get almost no noise but every 10 sec. a vibrating,ticking sound. On the mobo connections I get a less noticeable sound but constant ticking. I'm running out of ideas here, please help me out!

I have problems with the ticking of the pump, along with the problem with one of the fans. I got my first unit and RMA it, faulty pump and fan. Than got the second one and now the same problems! Faulty pump again and fans noise?!

I connected the pump on the mobo CPU_FAN, OPT CPU_FAN, PSU direct and the pump is still ticking. The sound depended of the connection.With the pump connected directly to the PSU I get almost no noise but every 10 sec. a vibrating,ticking sound. On the mobo connections I get a less noticeable sound but constant ticking. I'm running out of ideas here, please help me out!

Do you have a system you can hook up the fans and pump to without installing the unit? If so I recommend you let the pump run outside the case for a good hour at least maybe even overnight without the fans making any noise and see if the pump noise subsides. Also orient the radiator in different positions while the pumo is running to see if it is picking up any air. I know my system had a bit of air in the system because i could hear it when i shook the radiator and spun it around during inspection before installation. Plus I always run any AIO system for at least 1o minutes to check for leaks and noises. Mine was very quiet outside the case running at the recommended full 12v and 7000+ or - 1-200 rpms. 

Good luck and let me know how the pump sounds after long run outside the case....if it is still ticking I would RMA it again. I got a nice a quiet one and just FYI I run my system 24/7 and have not shut down the system for longer then the few hours it took me to install the new 140XL. My dinky Corsair H50 I had cooling my 2600k for 4 years never took a break for 35,040 hours and did a admirable job for the 1st 2 years with 2  Enermax Magma push pull fans then the second 2 years I used 2  Cougar Vortex push pull fans. But the last year I must have had corrosion in the micro fins and radiator reducing it's cooling ability since the cold plate is copper and the radiator is aluminum. Mixingg those 2 metals and then having the coolant loose its anti corrosion ability from age can cause corrosion bad.