Sign in to follow this  
ozmac79

Silent Pro 850w - Defective?

ozmac79    0

Hello.

A few weeks ago I built two new PCs using the exact same parts in both. Specs are as follows:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

CPU: i5-2500 3.30GHz

Cooler: Corsair H60

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850w

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

So about two weeks ago, one of the PSUs started making some very strange noises. Far as I can tell it's the fan, (which I should point out is facing fan down in the HAF 912 case). The sound is, as best as I can describe, similar to the revving of a car engine. It will literally rev up for a second or two before going completely silent again. Does this randomly, whether the CPU is idle or under load. I've had the side panel of the case off to listen to it, and it's definitely coming from the PSU since I can actually feel the unit vibrating when it revs up.

Now it gets more interesting.

The second PSU in the second PC this week has started to make noises also, albeit different to the first one. Again the PSU is mounted fan down in a HAF 912 case. This time the sound is a constant clicking almost identical to a noisy hard drive reading/writing data. Again I had the case off to listen and pin point the problem and it definitely is coming from the PSU.

Since both PSUs are playing up, I'm wondering if there is some compatibility error at all? Having said that, the two systems run like a dream and have had no software issues, BSODs or any crashes of any kind. It's just simply the noise each are making that doesn't sound right, (and the fact that two of the same product make different noises tells me one/both are defective).

I'm also wondering if perhaps the PSU in question doesn't like to be mounted fan face down. I've read online that it's really personal preference as to which way you have it. I preferred down, (and out the bottom of the case), since otherwise it would be blowing air directly at the GPU.

Have also given both a good clean in case it was dust or something else. But as I said earlier, these are new builds about three weeks old.

Well, thanks for your time and here's hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

Mike.

samoht25    3

Did you always have this issue with these power supply? Or it just recently started acting up?

PSU 1: I would switch the psu out with your other computer to see if it still occurs. I think there might be certain programs/overclocking that may causing the psu fan to increase its speed like that. Otherwise, I believe the psu is fine.

PSU 2: The clicking noise can come from hitting a loose wire or some small part. Alternatively, the fan might be losing its bearings and have to be replaced under warranty.

steff345    0
I'm also wondering if perhaps the PSU in question doesn't like to be mounted fan face down.

A PSU mounted with its fan down should have no issues at all - only thing that this may increase the overall noise the fan makes when it spins.

The reason for this is that it is drawing in air against a material, which causes some noticeable sound - but then again, not clicking noises as you are hearing.

Try keeping your something in front of a fan (intake) with a very slight gap in between and you'd get what i mean

ozmac79    0

Thanks for the replies.

Samoht. The two PCs were built three weeks ago, PSU 1 started acting up two weeks ago and PSU 2 one week ago.

With regards to the overclocking/software issue, I've not personally done any myself on either PC, although the EVGA card did come pre-'superclocked'. However, as I said, both PCs are identical in terms of software, drivers and hardware, yet they are each having different issues, (one revving, the other clicking).

I'm wondering then if this is just amazingly bad luck to have two new PSUs play up at the same time :cry:

samoht25    3

The clicking noise is coming from the fan' s bearing. You will have to get the whole PSU replaced under warranty with the place of purchase.

Both psu are not suppose to be making these sound, you will most likely have to return both of them replacement.

ozmac79    0

Both are from Tiger Direct who are telling me I need to contact the manufacturer. So I guess my next question is am I able to RMA these through Cooler Master? One of the boxes is without its serial number as I sent it in for a rebate.

Thanks.

samoht25    3

eRMA________________________________________________________________

Please follow the following instructions to get your product replaced:

Please fill out the RMA request and we will get this part shipped to you.

http://erma.coolermaster.com/member/

Create an account by clicking on “Create Account†or login with your information.

Once logged in choose "Register product"

At the bottom of the warranty info screen click "I Agree"

It will then ask you for the serial number of the product

After you register, You should see eRMA if you look in the purple bar at top of screen.

If eRMA is not there then you may need to log off and log back in.

Under that eRMA heading is “RMA Applyâ€.

When you click there, it will show you your registered products.

To the right hand side under the STATUS column it will say “applyâ€.

Click “apply†and follow the on screen instructions.

You can also view below for further assistance.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15548