Sign in to follow this  
Jan Erik Vangen

Bender Casemod

Recommended Posts



How big was it going to be? And how to fit it all together? This needed to be thought through and I figured out that I could first build a full-figure paper figure first, and then make all the mistakes I wanted without wasting time and sheet-metal.

This was used in the project:

* 1 Slim slotload DVD ROM/CD-burner from

* 1 VIA EPIA-M 10000 Mini-ITX motherboard

* WLAN-kort with antenna

* 2 10 watt light-bulbs (12volt)

* 1 120 GB harddisk + 4 external 250 GB disks on firewire

* Metal ducts (for feet and hands)

* 3 Metal kitchen-bowls from Coop (for the top of the head, and legs)

* 4-5 paper sheets

* 3 0,7 mm pieces of steel sheet-metal

* 1 Digital voice recorder from Produkt 24

After playing with different 3d programs I managed to print this 3D-model. I used it as a blueprint where I filled in the measurements for size, and so on.


And so the work with the paper-figure started, calculating angles, finding the correct proportions, etc.



There, we have a paper-figure, very crooked and stuff. With this paper figure all we have to do is spread out the sheets of paper on the sheet-metal and use them as a template :). Now when all templates and parts we need are finished, we can start building. :D

Building Bender

The eyes used are 10 watt halogen bulbs running on 12 volts, wired to the PSU :). Since these are only 10 watts and wired serially, they don't get very warm and don't use much power.


Then it was time to start with Bender's body. Started with taking out the paper-model and putting it on the sheet-metal for marking:


Then the cutting began.


The sheet-metal was cut, rolled until completely round and then welded together.


At last Bender was taking shape, but just the same a lot of work remained.


And then there was Bender's head:



A lot of people thought the head would be a problem considering that the top of the head is round. But it wasn't. Coop [Norwegian co-op supermarket] has metal kitchen bowls. These bowls had just the right diameter and everything, talk about luck :D


Now when the head is finished it has to be mounted on the body and holes have to be cut for the doors and I have to attach arms and legs.


Now Bender is really beginning to take shape. The teeth were made from a plastic visor used for helmets. This was then painted and teeth were painted on. After that a whole was cut out for the slot-in DVD-rom which is mounted inside the head. the WLAN antenna is also mounted on top of the head and the doors have been cut out :).

Unfortunately the hindges on the doors were mounted on the wrong side, so the door opens to the opposite side compared to the original, but that's just a minor issue, this version of Bender is left-handed. :P Then we had to figure out how to attach the motherboard. After a lot of brain-wracking I figured out that all cables would be exiting through Benders butt. So that's why this solution was chosen.



It seems this was a great solution. Better this than having the cables exit fromt he side of the body and devestating the whole look.

Sanding and painting

Sanding was the worst of it all. I had used plastic steel for filling all the joints, so that they werenice and smooth, but this caused a lot of dust. After 4-5 hours it was like I had gotten a bag of flour in my hair. I never was completely satisfied with my sanding/polishing work, but I was tired and had dust everywhere..


The painting went very well and very fast :)


And then there were the hands and legs. The hands themselves were made from 2 flower pots from Nille for 29 kr each. The fingers were made from 6 aluminium tubes.


The fingers were attached with plastic steel and were sanded and painted.

Mounting Benders parts

Then we had to attach amrs, legs and hardware. After a lot of cutting of overlong arms and legs, I got a nice, fitting length. But there was one problem. Despite the legs being shorter than planned, he was very unsteady. Therefore I made a stand for him. Attached 2 pieces of wood to 8 90 degree angle braces to form a pair of cross braces. I then threaded the legs onto the pieces of wood and Bender is very steady. You can even push him with him falling over.


After the platform was made, everything went like a dream. Just putting the parts right in. I can thank myself for this due to careful planning and taking my time with the project. It actually took 3 months longer than planned.

Finished result.




One button is for power, the other is Bender's voice button: " Bite My Shiny Metal :)".

That's all.

After everything was in place, it was finally time for Bender to pose for the camera.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this