Sign in to follow this  
gibbo_456

XDream III - thermal compound/pad?

gibbo_456    0

I opened my XDream III and noticed that there is what looks like a pad on the bottom of the heatsink, but thermal compund was also in the packaging. I am lost as to whether I should apply the thermal coumpound to the bottom of the heatsink, or use the pad. I realise this is probably a very basic question. :oops:

Thanks in advance.

VoongKoong    0

Remove the thermal padding(don't do it with a sharp object or you'll scratch the heatsink) and apply the thermal compound. However, I would recommend buying a different thermal compound...like the Arctic Silver 5 8) . It'll drop a lot of degrees :P .

Do what Mr. M and Voong said. If you're not interested in AS5 or don't have it yet, you could use the thermal compound until you get some.

VoongKoong    0
If you're going to remove the pad, use 90% alcohol (or higher) and either a 100% lint free cloth or tissue.

Lint free cloth isn't necessary, but it's good. I use thick tissue :roll: .

bronney    0

gibbo,

You sure that's a thermal pad and not the circle copper cylinder right? Like if you touch it it sticks? Cuz I just installed an XDreamIII last week and there was no pad. Just the compound in the syringe.

Voong, does AS5 really make a difference? I am gonna get me some on your words :) And uh the XDreamIII didn't come with a stencil so would you recommend making one? And out of what kind of material? Cuz the first time round I didn't use a stencil and just scrap the sides with a credit card thing.

ninuhadida    0

it manage to cut of an amazing 20c from the cpu temp :D

...... but i've got water cooling 8)

next case mod project is gonna be air cooling cause i'm tired of installation and bleeding and so on.

bronney    0

Alright people, installed some AS5 on it today but I didn't follow the heat spreader instructions in AS web. I had a feeling that the squish isn't gonna be totally centered and when I pulled it back up it's not dead centered.

So I cut up a stupid membership credit card thingy and start spreading it perfectly. The result is a nicely covered square with thickness less than a 90 gsm paper. The temperature is the same for now as the CM grease supplied but will post results after the set in hours. Thanks :)