Leaderboard


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 09/21/2019 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    The main color scheme for my case would be both polished and brushed silver, walnut wood, and black. To achieve what I wanted with Walnut, I would have to attach it to aluminum panels before it could me machined. The best way I could think of to accomplish this was with contact cement. To do this, I layed out all the panels and began covering the The walnut veneer took many coats since the veneer kept soaking up the glue but eventually it looked glossy, meaning there was enough glue on the surface to bond: Once the glue was dry I could carefully set the veneer over the aluminum and use a roller to squeeze out all of the air pockets and make a good bond: Once the glue was dry, I could finally start cutting panels for the case. I started with the back panel along with the motherboard try which would remain bare aluminum. I attached the panels together with square aliuminum bar stock and screws: From there, I could dial in the other panels with more test pieces: I decided to extend the "floor" fan grill into the front res/pump room to support the pump. Of course, this required another test piece: After a few tweaks I layed out the design on the final piece: And started cutting: About three hours later it was done. I had to stop the machine after each cutout to clean the tape goo off of the bit. I was worried the walnut veneer would chip but it turned out pretty clean: I repeated the same steps above for the top fan grill design. Its a good thing I made practice pieces because I messed up on a few parts that I wouldnt have caught otherwise: I machined some cutouts in the above piece to enable removal of the top section of the case. I also put some finish on the panel to see how the grain would pop against the silver aluminum: The walnut burl veneer's grain pops beautifully with a little finish on it: Before: After: And with the fans which will be mounted to the grill. I had them upside down in this photo though: Here's a couple of closeup shots of the bottom grille:
  2. 1 point
    I went back to the main body which is in 3 pieces at the moment. In the middle section, the motherboard will be included. So, I cut a piece of MDF and used it as a mobo base. I already put on part of the cockpit above, just to see if it is fitting the way I want. Next up, I made a quick test of the opening mechanism of the wings. The Wings now can be closed, or opend up in a 15 dergees angle. Should be more than enough. Close up pictures of the inside will follow soon. Then all the 3 pieces were assembled. Just to see the dimensions of the mod. I am 1,81 m btw. Next, I will close all the gaps and rework some of the detail lines.
  3. 1 point
  4. 1 point
    Hi guys, here is another little update..
  5. 1 point
    hi guys and here is another little update, i have clad a lot of the frame with worbla andmust get some more tomorrow.i can only start placing everything inside when i know which cage holes will be open and which closed so lets get this done first. its gonna be tight getting this all ready for the CMWS2019 deadline.